Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

Books are taking over my house

This morning as I started my routine of cleaning and tidying up as my toddler played, I noticed that our "book setup" just was not working anymore. We have been storing them in a large basket under a little decorative table. This worked for a while but now that she has more books than reasonably fit in the basket. The kids were having trouble getting the books in and out because it was stuffed full and heavy as many of the book are board books.

Finally having enough of this I started brainstorming what I could do with all these books. I really didn't want to buy a new bookshelf or any new furniture at all as we are on a budget. I got to work clearing off a bookshelf that was already in the living room that held my husbands books. He already has a book shelf in the closet filled with all his books too so I really don't feel bad making him give up this one.

Once I got the cleaning bug in me and all my daughter's books transfered to the bookshelf. I still had a shelf that was empty after transferring the books so I took the time and decided it was time to reorganize toys as well. A few days ago we bought a couple different sizes of some small plastic totes. I love these things! I am always finding new uses for them! I always hate when the toy bins are just filled with random toys and my daughter gets frustrated because she can't find the toy she is looking for. One bin became dedicated to her tea set which consists of cups, silverware, plates, bowls, etc. Another bin became the play food bin, another for wooden blocks and the last for "little people and assesories" I did a little rearranging and moved some toys from the living room to my daughter's room and my living room is feeling much cleaner and functional.

A clean and house means and organized mind!

1 comment:

  1. http://raisingolives.com/2009/07/raingutter-book-shelves-tutorial/

    Check out this link on rain gutter bookshelves

    ReplyDelete